The Infrared Sauna
CAMISA has the Sunlighten mPulse Conquer Infrared Sauna which offers specific blends of near, mid, and far infrared to relax, heal and energize your body. Complete with a wellness toolkit, you can choose a clinically-backed health program or customize all three infrared wavelengths to maximize health benefits as your needs change and evolve. Touch the tablet, set your program and music or watch Netflix, sit back and enjoy the gentle heat and Blaupunkt sound system. Sunlighten’s technology design mitigates EMFs to a lower level than most common household items for ultimate protection. Chromotherapy lighting enhances your experience using colors from the sun’s visible light spectrum to bring balance and mental well-being.
What is Infrared Light?
Nature delivers infrared in sunlight.
The sun emits a wide range of light, most of which we can’t actually see. Remember the first time you saw a prism transform light into a rainbow of visible light? Infrared is the invisible light just outside the prism next to red light, thus the name “infra (below)” + “red.” Sunlight is 52-55% infrared. It’s all the good parts of the sun’s healing light.
Infrared is part of a natural spectrum.
Visible light and infrared are part of the electromagnetic spectrum, a continuum of light waves organized by how they interact with matter. Scientists explain infrared is a safe, gentle form that brings many good, healthy things to earth and human beings. The energy it delivers is just the right nudge cells need to stimulate warmth, growth and release.
Infrared comes in 3 distinct types.
Because it’s on a spectrum, infrared has a range of waves in its own category. There are 3 types based on wave size, frequency, and the amount of energy they carry: near (NIR), mid (MIR) and far (FIR). Though tiny pinpoint-size waves, each infrared ray does something beautifully unique for our bodies, and nature.
Infrared light is a form of alternative and holistic health therapies, endorsed by medical doctors and health experts.
Infrared’s healing rays are felt on our skin as warmth, and are absorbed by our bodies to help them detoxify, relax, improve circulation, recover faster, sleep better, age well and help us feel good. The proof of this activity in our body is evidenced in the increase in core body temperature that happens during a 30-minute infrared sauna session. Sunlighten’s saunas are clinically-proven to raise core body temperature 3 degrees, which unleashes the most benefits to our health. With gentler and more effective heat, Sunlighten’s infrared sauna benefits allow you to stay longer and reap more overall health benefits.
Recommended by health experts, infrared saunas offer the following benefits:
• Cell Health
• Muscle Recovery
• Weight Loss
• Wound Healing
• Pain Relief
• Blood Pressure Reduction
• Improved Circulation
• Wound Healing
• Improved Mental Health
Dr. Mark Hyman is a practicing family physician and an internationally recognized leader, speaker, educator, and advocate in the field of functional medicine, a systems biology–based approach that focuses on identifying and addressing the root cause of disease. Dr. Hyman teaches that infrared saunas have proven very effective in reducing the stress response and creating balance in the autonomic nervous system. He says they improve circulation, help with weight loss, balance blood sugar, and improve detoxification—each of which improves your brain function.
How does infrared therapy support Cell Health, Muscle Recovery and Immunity?
In each phase of treatment, microcurrent and light are applied to different points and lines on the face, in conjunction with specially formulated organic skin care products. The FSM machine is set according to specific intensity, frequency, waveform, modulation, polarity and light color.
Infrared therapy stimulates the circulatory system, causing the heart to beat more vigorously & blood vessels to dilate, which help cleanse the circulatory system & more fully oxygenate the body’s cells.
Better blood circulation means more toxins flow from the cellular level to the skin’s surface to improve cell health, aid in muscle recovery & strengthen the immune system.
A NASA study showed the same near infrared therapy, delivered by LEDs deep into the body tissue, can quadruple cell health and tissue growth.
Several studies have shown that LEDs (like those in CAMISA’s mPulse sauna) stimulate white blood cell production & collagen growth by increasing energy at the cellular level.
A study done at the Medical College of Wisconsin demonstrated that LED-produced near infrared helps promote cell health & regeneration.
A study from The American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology concluded that LED near infrared restores enzyme activity & reduces cell death by half.
According to the Doctor’s Prescription for Health Living, Sunlighten’s infrared heat is one of the best treatments for sprains, strains, muscle spasms, & other injuries associated with sports because it works by penetrating joints, muscles & tissues, speeding oxygen flow & increasing circulation.
“Regardless of the type of injury, someone who regularly uses this type of sauna will recover faster,” explains Dr. Jeffrey Spencer, a sports medicine expert. “It doesn’t add additional stress to the body or the injury. It actually works with the body to heal.”
Raising core body temperature is key to keeping you healthy. Although Sunlighten saunas heat you up differently than a fever, the increased body temperature provides similar benefits, including white blood cell and T-cell production to help ward off viruses. This heat produces a deep, detoxifying sweat below the skin’s surface, where most toxins reside. Your sweat then pushes out the toxins, cleansing your body and rejuvenating your skin. Sunlighten saunas are the only ones to have been proven to raise core body temperature by 3 degrees.
An Austrian study 3 of 25 healthy subjects who regularly used saunas found they had significantly fewer episodes of common colds than those who did not. This benefit becomes more significant, especially after 14 weeks of consecutive sauna use. To maximize these benefits, it’s recommended to use it at least twice a week throughout the year.
How does infrared therapy support athletic performance?
There are many studies that show how the three wavelengths of near, mid and far can help with muscle recovery and performance.
In 2015, the Journal of Athletic Enhancement published a study looking at the Effects of Far Infrared Heat on Recovery in Power Athletes. It found that far infrared (FIR) heat improves recovery of the neuromuscular performance during intensive training associated with the increase in the testosterone/cortisol ratio.
Deep penetration of infrared with mild temperature and light humidity (vs. traditional saunas) appears favorable for the neuromuscular system to recover from endurance performance.
One of the foremost researchers on infrared, Dr. Michael Hamblin, published a study which suggests that red light and near infrared (NIR) can increase muscle mass gained after training, and decrease inflammation and oxidative stress.
What infrared programs are available at CAMISA?
• Cardio, 45 minutes, Near, Mid & Far: Starts at a high intensity to increase heart rate & cardiac output, then lowers to sustain heart rate level. Circulation increases to promote healthy blood pressure.
• Detoxification, 37 minutes, Mid & Far: Starts at a high intensity to increase the body’s core temperature, then reduces to a lower intensity level. Mid & far infrared combination improves vascular access flow to reach toxins at the cellular level.
• Pain Relief, 30 minutes, Near, Mid & Far: A far, mid and near-infrared blend provides natural pain relief by reducing inflammation & swelling while near-infrared penetrates the tissues, promoting cellular repair at a medium, constant intensity level. This program is
• Relaxation, 40 minutes, Near, Mid & Far: Far, mid & near-infrared combination induces deep relaxation as it relieves muscle tension at a low, comfortable intensity promoting overall stress reduction.
• Weight Loss, 30 minutes, Mid & Far: Starts at a high intensity to stimulate the cardiovascular system, then reduces to a medium level. As the body works to cool itself, there is an increase in heart rate, cardiac output & metabolic rate, similar to exercise.
• Anti-Aging, 30 minutes, Near, Mid & Far: A low, constant intensity level penetrates tissue to help with various skin concerns. Near infrared improves overall skin tone, elasticity, & firmness, promoting anti-aging benefits.
• Custom, length varies, Near, Mid & Far: Take full control of each heater to maximize the infrared power, output & intensity of each session. CAMISA can help you build your own custom sauna session to support your specific goals.
What is Chromotherapy?
Enhance your sauna experience and transform your mental well-being with Chromotherapy, or color therapy, the science of using colors to adjust body vibrations to frequencies that result in health and harmony. Chromotherapy works on various energy points to help balance your body via the full spectrum of visible light. Each color possesses frequencies of a specific vibration, and each vibration is related to different physical symptoms.
Chromotherapy is a centuries-old concept – color has been investigated as medicine since 2000 BC. Currently, people are using chromotherapy as a complementary as well as an alternative treatment option worldwide.
Light is responsible for turning on the brain and the body, entering the body through the eyes and skin. When even a single photon of light enters the eye, it lights up the entire brain. This light triggers the hypothalamus, which regulates all life-sustaining bodily functions, the autonomic nervous system, endocrine system, and the pituitary (the body’s master gland).
Studies have proven that chromotherapy has tremendous effects on diseases like cancer, especially breast cancer, hematoma (red), hepatitis B (combination of various lights), hypertension, neonatal jaundice (blue light), spondylosis, peptic ulcer disease (yellow light), depression and stress, migraine (green light), hyperthyroidism (violet/blue light), alopecia (violet), color blindness (blue/ green) and various skin infections, especially cutaneous leishmaniasis (blue and red). As a result, chromotherapy is becoming widely accepted as a therapeutic tool with various medical applications.
(1) Harry T. Whelan, Ellen V. Buchmann, Noel T. Whelan, Scott G. Turner, Vita Cevenini, Helen Stinson, Ron Ignatius, Todd Martin, Joan Cwiklinski, Glenn A. Meyer, Brian Hodgson Lisa Gould, Mary Kane, Gina Chen , James Caviness. NASA Light Emitting Diode Medical Applications From Deep Space to Deep Sea. CP552, Space Technology and Applications International Forum-2001, edited by M. S. El-Genk. Copyright 2001 American Institute of Physics 1-56396-980-7/01.
(2) Margaret T.T.Wong-Riley, Huan Ling Liang, Janis T. Eells, Britton Chance, Michele M. Henry, Ellen Buchmann, Mary Kane, and Harry T. Whelan. Photobiomodulation Directly Benefits Primary Neurons Functionally Inactivated by Toxins: Role of Cytochrome C Oxidase. JBC Papers in Press. Published on November 22, 2004 as Manuscript M409650200. Copyright 2004 by The American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Inc
(3) Ernst, E., Pacho, E., Wirz P, Saradeth T. Regular sauna bathing and the incidence of common colds. Ann Med. Vol 22(4); 225-7 (1990).